2015 BMW S1000R Review
Conquer the roads – on the BMW S1000R…
A roadster, reduced to the essentials: maximum performance. 160 bhp/118 kW, 112 Nm torque and a power-to-weight ratio of 1.29 kilograms per bhp – and the competition disappears in the rear mirror. Like its superbike predecessor, the S1000R sets the benchmark in its segment.
2015 BMW S1000R – Key Features
Speed, speed and more speed.
Linear power: the engine.
The high-performance 4-cylinder in-line engine derives from the RR but has now been further optimised. The result: extremely linear torque delivery for constant forward propulsion across the entire engine speed range. The engine of the S1000R has an output of 160 PS/118 kW at 11,000 rpm, while a maximum of 112 Nm torque at 9,250 rpm puts a smile on the rider’s face at every twist of the throttle.
Ready for attack: the design.
The genes of the S1000R are striking at first sight: aggressive tail-up/nose-down design, distinctive split face and the characteristic gills. And the “R” shows much less of its sharp-edged, muscular skin. Some people call it naked – we just call it focused on the essentials.
Versatile: the riding modes.
The S1000R can be reined in and unleashed at the press of a button as standard. The “Rain” mode provides a gentle throttle response, with ABS and ASC adapted to wet road surfaces. Meanwhile “Road” optimises throttle response, ABS and ASC for dry asphalt. The Pro modes are available as an optional extra for those chasing the threshold range: “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro” get the “R” into shape for the limits.
Full control: Race ABS and ASC as standard.
Keep the power under control. That’s why the S1000R is fitted with Race ABS and ASC (automatic stability control) as standard. This duo ensures excellent acceleration and deceleration figures at threshold level. They can be activated and deactivated during travel, making for uninterrupted riding fun.
No compromises: the individualisation options.
Two packages are available for the S1000R, each of which sensibly groups the various options: The “Sport” package includes the Pro modes (Rain, Road + Dynamic, Dynamic Pro), DTC, shift assistant and cruise control. The “Dynamic” package comprises the electronic suspension DDC and an engine spoiler in body colour. There will also be an extensive range of HP parts for the S 1000 R aimed at ambitious riders.
2015 BMW S1000R – Features and Benefits
Technical highlights of the S 1000 R
The S 1000 R is powered by the legendary high-performance 4-cylinder in-line engine from the S 1000 RR. But it has been optimized for use in the roadster.
• 7 lb/ft more than the S 1000 RR in the low to mid rpm range
• Extremely linear power delivery across the entire engine speed range
• Maximum torque of 83 lb/ft at 9,250 rpm
• Peak output of 160 bhp/118 kW at 11,000 rpm
Suspension: Race ABS and ASC.
The S 1000 R is fitted with Race ABS and ASC (automatic stability control) as standard.
• Part integral Race ABS as standard for optimum deceleration.
• Clear feedback in the hand lever to detect threshold range
• Can be deactivated while riding
• Ultra-light system, virtually maintenance-free
• ASC ensures optimum acceleration on all road surfaces
• Both systems are perfectly interconnected and their regulation response is very simple to adapt via the standard riding modes Road/Rain
Suspension: DDC and DTC
The S 1000 R is the only roadster to feature a highly active electronic suspension which is able to adapt to riding conditions within milliseconds, thereby enabling maximum agility and dynamic performance.
• DTC is an assistance system with banking sensor which supports maximum possible throttle response and prevents rear wheel spin when there is reduced friction on the road surface. Maximum traction and agility as well as an additional safety bonus
• DDC: Dynamic Damping Control directly from the BMW HP4. Here the suspension adapts electronically within milliseconds to the surface and situation on the road.
• Characteristics and damping properties change from “pleasant” to “tight” depending on the riding modes selected, riding situation and road surface. The suspension supports the rider without the latter having to make any mechanical adjustments to the damper compression and rebound stage
Suspension: Riding modes
The riding modes available for the S 1000 R perfectly interconnect the individual systems of throttle response, ABS control response, traction control (ASC or DTC) and suspension (DDC or load state) for a dynamic but safe ride on varying road surfaces and in different weather conditions.
• Rain mode for a gentle throttle response and sensitive ASC/ABS control response on wet road surfaces
• Road mode for optimum throttle response and optimum ASC/ABS control response for excellent acceleration and deceleration on dry roads
• The riding modes are simple to select by pressing a button and confirmed by closing the throttle and are shown on the display screen
Pro riding modes available as an option for riders with sporty ambitions:
• Dynamic mode for optimum throttle response on dry roads with reduced lift detection function in the front and rear wheel when braking. DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) enables more dynamic traction control when leaned in over turns.
• Dynamic Pro mode is designed for very ambitious sports riders and can only be activated by means of a coded plug. DTC enables optimum acceleration with sports tires on a dry surface. The ABS allows brake drifts using the footbrake but without having to dispense with ABS functions at the front wheel. The front and rear wheel lift detection function is deactivated.
Suspension: Steering damper
The suspension of the S 1000 R is fitted as standard with a mechanical steering damper which ensures optimum stability even on varying surfaces and at high speeds.
The extensive range of options gives the rider the opportunity to optimize the motorcycle according to personal preferences. Two packages are available for this purpose:
• “Standard” package adds Ride Modes Pro (Rain, Road + Dynamic, Dynamic Pro), gear shift assist, DTC (dynamic traction control) and cruise control
• “Premium” package includes all equipment in the “Standard” package plus DDC (dynamic damping control semi-active suspension), heated grips and engine spoiler
• Also: Extensive range of HP parts for the S 1000 R
2015 BMW S1000R – USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $13,260 USD
Type Water/oil-cooled 4-cylinder 4-stroke in-line engine, four valves per cylinder, two overhead camshafts
Bore x stroke 80 mm x 49.7 mm
Capacity 999 ccm
Rated output 160 hp (118 kW) at 11,000 rpm
Max. torque 83 lb-ft (112 Nm) at 9,250 rpm
Compression ratio 12.0 : 1
Mixture control / engine management Electronic injection
Emission control 2 closed-loop 3-way catalytic converters, EU-3 norm with interference pipe and acoustic valves
Performance / fuel consumption
Maximum speed over 125 mph
Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 90 km/h 44 mpg at a constant 56 mph (5.4 l)
Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 120 km/h
Fuel type Premium Unleaded
Alternator 350 W
Battery 12 V / 9 Ah, maintenance-free
Clutch Multiplate clutch in oil bath, anti-hopping clutch, mechanically controlled
Gearbox Constant-mesh 6-speed gearbox, straight-toothed
Drive Chain 17/45
Chassis / brakes
Frame Aluminum composite bridge frame, partially self-supporting engine
Front wheel location / suspension Upside-down telescopic fork Ø 46 mm, compression and rebound stage adjustable
Rear wheel location / suspension Aluminum 2-sided swing arm, rebound damping adjustable
Suspension travel front / rear 4.7 in / 4.7 in (120 mm / 120 mm)
Wheelbase 56.7 in (1,439 mm)
Castor 3.9 in (98.5 mm)
Steering head angle 65.4°
Wheels Cast aluminum wheels
Rim, front 3.50 x 17″
Rim, rear 6.00 x 17″
Tyres, front 120/70 ZR 17
Tyres, rear 190/55 ZR 17
Brake, front Dual floating disc brakes, diameter 320 mm, thickness 5 mm, radial 4-piston fixed calipers
Brake, rear Single disc brake, single piston floating caliper, diameter 220 mm, 5 mm thick
ABS STANDARD Race ABS (part integral, can be switched off)
Dimensions / weights
Length 81.0 in (2,057 mm)
Width (incl. mirrors) 33.3 in (845 mm)
Height (excl. mirrors) 48.3 in (1,228 mm)
Seat height, unladen weight 32.0 in (814 mm)
Inner leg curve, unladen weight 71.1 (1,805 mm)
Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled 1) 456 lbs (207 kg)
Permitted total weight 897 lbs (407 kg)
Payload (with standard equipment) 441 lbs (200 kg)
Usable tank volume 4.6 gallons
Reserve Approx. 1 gal
” Technical data relate to the unladen weight (DIN)
” 1) According to guideline 93/93/EWG with all fluids, fuelled with at least 90% of usable tank volume